By the end of the third I’d seen all the presentations about digital transformation in the primary aluminium industry. Here are a couple of general patterns that I managed to identify:
- Microsoft is the dominant public cloud provider: all cloud architectures I have seen were built in Azure cloud.
- Digital Transformation as a concept is generally understood and deemed important.
- The Unified Namespace as a concept has not yet found it’s way into this industry.
- Companies are at very different stages in their Digital Transformation. Larger enterprise are at the forefront.
- The preferred strategy at the moment is to develop digital foundations (i.e. a proper data infrastructure) in parallel with digital use cases that create business value. The latter is necessary to succeed in the long term. The latter generates financial benefits that keep the board happy in the short term.