In 2023 the cloud market is (still) dominated by three major providers:
- Microsoft Azure
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
I personally haven’t encountered a company in (aluminium) manufacturing that uses a different cloud than Azure. There is something about Microsoft that really appeals to our industry that tends to be more traditional.
Here are three reasons why I think manufacturers prefer Azure:
- Familiarity with Microsoft Windows and the Microsoft brand
- Lots of OT systems run on Windows servers
- Group effect: peers and competitors choosing Azure
So should your plant use Azure? - I think it doesn’t really matter. All cloud providers offer the same base set of features.